Susan's Success Story

On January of 2002, I had a miscarriage when I was 8 weeks pregnant. This was my first visit to the OB. There was no heartbeat. It never occurred to me that this could be a possibility. (Those were the good old days) After an ultrasound with no heartbeat, and the appropriate bloodwork, it was confirmed that this was not a viable pregnancy. I was advised by my OB to have a routine d and c. He said if I did not, I would be at risk for infection. I had to wait 48 hours for the d and c. It was an awful feeling to be morning sick and know you would not be pregnant in a few days. 

On January 2, 2002, I had the d and c that caused Asherman’s Syndrome. Many people who have had a d and c told me it would be a two day recovery, and then back to regular life. I knew something was wrong from the beginning. Four weeks post surgery, I was still in sporadic pain. Eight weeks later I was still without a period. I called the doctor, and he said I just needed a jump start for my period. I did 30 days of estrogen…nothing. Seven days of progesterone….nothing. After an office hsg, it was determined that there may have been some scar tissue. 

In May of 2002, he performed a surgical hyst. While doing this, he punctured my uterus, and said I was scar free. He also sent me to a local RE. She took one look, and said I had severe AS, and that I should peruse surrogacy. So I did. While in this process, I found this wonderful group. I also found my surgeon from the group and from a friend the same week.(One would think my OB could have found him!)

In July of 2002, after diagnosing me with severe AS, The Doctor performed a laproscopic hysteroscopy. It was a miracle. I had no uterine cavity, and only one mm of lining, and I was scar free after surgery. 

On September 22, we conceived my little girl, Talia naturally. It was not only a miracle, but also a surprise. This brings us to the pregnant part of my story. I continued to see my surgeon through my first trimester. I had bleeding weeks 4-9, and then again at week 12. Needless to say, a very stressful beginning. Sometime around week 10, I began my transition to my wonderful perinatologist. As the bleeding stopped, and I breathed a sigh of relief, the next hurdle came. Due to all of the procedures and dieletions I have had, my cervix became incompetent. I had a pesssary inserted, and went on bed rest. (I was already on modified bed rest from the on set of the bleeding) Unfortunately, my cervix continued to shorten, and at week 22 I had a Shirodkar cerclage. My cervix stayed closed for the balance of the pregnancy, but went up and down periodically in length. During week 28, I began to have pre term labor. I took various meds to get this under control, and went on home monitoring two times per day. Around week 35 I was released from bed rest, but my blood pressure began to rise. Being that Talia was breech, I had a scheduled c section for week 39. When I was 38 weeks I just felt horrible, and begged for an amnio. When I arrived, they took my blood pressure. It was very high, and I delivered Talia at 38.1 weeks. (My cerclage was also removed during this period of time). 

I am writing this story for others to read who are battling infertility or high risk pregnancies. I know I wanted to read about others who had similar experiences when I was beginning my journey. I hope my story brings a glimmer of hope and encouragement for other women. I owe my successful outcome to my A list surgeon, and highly skilled perinatologist.

Best Wishes, 

International Ashermans Association

This book is dedicated to telling stories of women who were given no hope by their doctors but ended up with babies. 

Click here to order your copy of the silent syndrome @$14.99.

Conditions of third party use

Contents from this website may be reprinted only under the condition that the content is credited to International Ashermans Association and a URL link i.e. 
is included.